Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Make-up Tips: Smokey VS. Natual

Hey ladies, my name is Kristi and I am the new intern for Soiréebliss! Events. I'm super excited to write my very first blog and share the inside scoop when it comes to bridal make-up.

Having been an artist for M.A.C Cosmetics for a little over 5 years, I definitely know what brides go through when deciphering between wedding day looks. One of the most popular questions I get asked is should I do a smokey eye or or go with more natural colors? The most important thing to know about a smokey eye is that it's just a technique. You can do a smokey eye with browns, blues, purples, anything your little heart desires. Think about it this way; it just means a darker shade of whatever color you're wanting to use.

If you wear a smokey eye everyday...it's for a reason; you like how your eyes are defined with a darker color, it makes you feel sexier and more confident. The bottom line is, YOU have to love how you look in your wedding pictures. If you go with lighter more natural colors when you're used to darker colors, you will feel like you don't have any make-up on and you won't be happy with how you look. Those pictures will last forever so you really have to go with your gut and do what makes you happy. Also, most weddings last through the late evening, so your make-up should be on the darker side to fit the time of day.

Now remember ladies, you do have options when it comes to a smokey eye! There can be a dark color on the whole eyelid or the eyelid can have a light color and then a dark color in the crease. Either way, a darker color really needs to be used to define and show up in pictures. Another thing to think about is mixing up your textures. If you use a shimmer or a frost on the lid, you want to use a matte in the crease. You can still use a shimmer in the crease, but you want to break up your textures. Plus, matte colors in the crease will create depth, shimmers/frosts won't.

Bottom line: You can listen to bridal magazines, your friends, your mom. But at the end of the day, wear what makes you feel sexy. You should feel as if you are a goddess, because it's YOUR wedding day. Enjoy it!

Kristi Gomez
Superstar Wedding Intern


Make-up in pictures done by Lisa Pelayo: http://lisapelayo.com/
Photography done by Laurie Perez:
http://laurieperez.com/

2 comments:

Julie said...

Kristi! It was nice meeting you at the wedding last Saturday. I didn't realize you were the new intern! Yeah! And when I saw you (although briefly) I noticed how flawless your makeup looks!! I was driving home thinking, "she must be a makeup artist." I'm so intuitive like that! :) Great article. I need to learn a few makeup tricks myself.

Unknown said...

Thanks Julie, ask me anytime!