Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Real Wedding - Part I: Samantha & Todd's Classic Evening Affair

As an event planner, I have a very special career.  I have the opportunity to create for couples magical, memorable moments (days really) which they will cherish for a lifetime. Planning a couple's wedding day for me is one of the most cherished parts of my career as it's an honor to be entrusted with something so special. 

So, just imagine how incredibly special it was for me to have the opportunity to plan my own wedding.  It's time to reverse the role and for me to be the "Bride"!  After having planned over 150 weddings, I had an endless list of ideas, themes and locations.  The possibilities were endless and my creative juices were running 1000 miles and hour with exhilarated excitement. How was I to choose just one location or theme; Garden of the Gods in Colorado, Caramel by the Sea in California, Acapulco Meixco, San Juan Puerto Rico, a good down home Texas wedding in Austin, or keep it local in Houston.  The options were endless for me and my imagination was unleashed. WHEEE!!! 

After several months of exploring flight and hotel costs, venue options, budget decisions, my fiancée (now husband) and I narrowed our choice down to one location.  While destination weddings are incredibly fun and unique, it's not always possible for all your guests to travel. We decided it was most important to share the day with those nearest and dearest to us and selected the Omni Woodway Hotel in Houston.  The Omni's luscious indoor garden area (Palm Court) allowed us to have a garden feel without being outside. Which was very nice as most Houstonians know that outside weddings in Houston is just so hard to come by due to weather. The reception itself would be held in the Noé Restaurant at the Omni.  A chic, schwanky space that isn't commonly used for events. Perfect!

With a date and location, the plan was in motion.  Time to create the theme and letting the planning begin! OHHH, my most favorite part. For me, I'm a huge fan of the classic Hollywood Regency designs, but have a flair for a stylish vintage. My color choice would be black and white complimented by neutral whites.  

Our focus for the wedding was to create an event that was truly about our guests' experience and not necessarily about an over the top decor design. With guests travelling from around Texas and Indiana to join us, we planned from the moment they arrived that they would know they were here for a different kind of wedding.  Once they checked into their room, they were delivered a welcome bag with a bottle of champagne and a personal welcome note from us.  When they arrived in Palm Court for the ceremony, they were greeted by a butler to hand them a glass of champagne embellished with a luscious strawberry accent.  What better way to enjoy a wedding ceremony than with champagne?!

My fiancée and I kept our wedding party very small to keep it simple.  We wrote our own ceremony as this was truly the most important part of the entire day. One that would be the most memorable for the two of us.  As we recessed down the aisle, guests showered us with petals. A fun alternative to a grand exit!

We designed the rest of the evening quite simply; cocktail hour to mingle and greet guests, a 3 course meal, toasts and dancing.  No complications, no unnecessary traditions, just an evening spent celebrating and dancing with family and friends. It was truly an evening that we will cherish for years to come.  

As an Event Planner based in Houston, it was truly hard to select my those who would help bring my ideas to reality. I know so many talented professionals and how to chose just a few?! We are so thankful for the wonderfully talented professionals who helped make it possible for us.

Venue: Omni Woodway - Teresa Westbury was amazing and has become such a dear friend
Florist: Sheli with P and P Events - I love how she took my ideas/designs and made it possible
Photography: Steve Lee Photography - his talent surpassed our expectations
Ceremony Music: Divisi Strings - their talent surpasses all expectations
Reception Entertainment: Space City Entertainment - Jason is always such a joy to work with 
Cake: Plated desert by Omni Woodway
Favor: Mini desert bar by Petite Sweets - everyone knows how much I love sweets
Invitations: Invitation Solutions 
Hair/Make-up: Pink Palette - they do such wonderful work. I felt utterly beautiful
Dress: Priscilla of Boston - its the icon of all wedding dress. 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Check back on Saturday for "Real Wedding Part II: Handmade Items and Tips I Used" as I share some of my designs that I created to customize our wedding along with tips to make your wedding day memorable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute wedding pics :-)
Congratulations and best wishes to you both.

Unique Weddings

John david said...
This comment has been removed by the author.